Re: Issue with pkg_install on VAX

John Klos <> writes:

> => Fetching php-5.2.6.tar.bz2
> [1]   Done                    echo ${unsorted_... |
>       Illegal instruction (core dumped) /usr/bin/awk -v ...
> This is after installing the latest pkg_install. However, if I just
> use a virgin 4.99.62 install, I can build and install packages.
> What's different between awk usage in pkgtools/pkg_install and the pkg
> tools in current?

Could this be the old problem where awk, since it always tries to find
out whether a new token it reads might be a number, and the IEEE math
implementation on NetBSD/vax is a bit weird, will barf if it sees a
token that happens to begin with the three characters 'n', 'a', 'n'?
(It's case insensitive, by the way.)

Self documenting code isn't. User application constraints don't. --Ed Prochak