Re: how to upgrade a whole machine ...

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Quentin Garnier wrote:
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 03:44:17PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
[...]
bulk build.  A limited bulk build will build all the packages you
listed and all their dependencies.  You can then use these to install
the machine proper, in much the same way as using the official binary
packages.

Unfortunately, bulk builds are almost impossible with pkgsrc-2008Q1 on
NetBSD 4.0.  You know, the latest NetBSD release, I'm sure you've heard
of it.  (No, I'm not talking directly to you, Dieter.  The ones that are
responsible for the current state of the support of NetBSD 4.0 in pkgsrc
will recognize themselves.)

The first problem is that the package tools in base in 4.0 are not
recent enough for pkgsrc-2008Q1 to be happy.  mk/bulk/build will then
fail because on NetBSD it deletes everything in ${LOCALBASE} before it
starts the build, assuming the tools in base are good enough.

So you first have to hack mk/bulk/build in order to make it consider
NetBSD as just your average platform, and prevent (in a rather hackish
way, I have to say) the deletion of the pkg_install package which you
will have install manually first.

I just installed pkg_install and then did:
cp /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_* /usr/sbin

(with a mental note to do the same every I update pkg_install...).

--
Stephen