Re: 2008Q1 bootstrap issues under solaris 10u4?

For some reason I haven't seen my post, nor anyone's replies, so am
relying on the archive to craft this reply:

|On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
|> trying to get the bootstrap compiled up with Sun Studios 12 inside a
|> zone (not that I think that has any bearing, mind you).
|> The compilation phase seems to progress fine, however when the bmake
|> unit tests are run, it just appears to stop dead with no output:
|Several people have reported this sort of thing in the past few days.
|The most detailed report suggested that the newly-built bmake program
|was stuck in an infinite loop while performing the "recursive" test
|inside the "unit-tests/dotwait" makefile.

aaah ... that would make sense

|I think we need somebody with the right environment to run that test
|under a debugger to figure out what's going wrong. It could be a bug in
|bmake itself, a bug in a library, accidental linkage against the wrong
|library, a compiler bug, or something else.

I'd be happy to do so, if someone could give me pointers ... :)

also, I've run into an issue when compiling screen - when built
on a Solaris 10 08/07 (update 4) host, it gets linked against
/usr/lib/ however this file appears to be missing on
Solaris 10 03/05 ... would I therefore have to compile all my pkgsrc on
03/05 hosts if I wanted to support both 03/05 and 08/07?

actually, going further, we have some Solaris 8 hosts as well, so
perhaps I should do my compiles on one of those ... in general how
portable are pkgsrc packages compiled for older Solaris platforms when
using them on more recent versions?

Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally                                                left