OpenSSH and utmp/utmpx

After upgrading from NetBSD 2.0.3 to 4.0 and rebuilding my packages, I've noticed that OpenSSH from pkgsrc no longer updates utmp (only utmpx). Removing the following lines from the package Makefile results in both utmp and utmpx being updated:

.if (${OPSYS} == "NetBSD") && exists(/usr/include/utmpx.h)
# if we have utmpx et al do not try to use login()
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=       --disable-libutil
.endif

I have some old programs that use utmp, so I'd like to commit the change to remove these lines, if it's safe to do so. Does anyone know why the OpenSSH package does this?

Thanks,

- Amitai