Re: pkg_add and remote packages

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
What do others think about this?

I think we went over this before. The current code reuses the one connection to fetch one file after the other, and I wrote things that way to save the FTP server from opening many connections.

For the other two options that you mention, the ups and downs should be considered. I.e. if the dependency tree is not too deep, I'd accept using multiple connections.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind caching .tgz files locally, as I've seen several situations where things were fetched multiple times, and caching would have saved me bandwitch (that I don't have ;).

Or maybe implement both schemes, and let the user decide?

 - Hubert