Re: make replace broken?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   I have the appended local patch, which works for me, but it probably not
>   the correct fix.
>
> Interesting - do you have a theory why invoking make multiple times
> causes things to work?

Not specifically in this case.  In general, when you want to do several
things in sequence, it's not really safe to say

        several-things: A B

because make may try to do them in parallel.  Even if you disable
parallelism (or insert .WAIT boundaries), you might find that two or
more of the specified targets depend indirectly on some other target,
say

        A: W X Y
        B: P X Q

and then "X" will be made only once, whereas you wanted it to be made twice
(as part of A and as part of B).

--apb (Alan Barrett)