download dependencies in background while building

I was told today: It's a shame it doesn't download dependancies in the
background while building.

There is a way to do that by building multiple packages at same time. But
don't thnk this locking works anymore. (It didn't work last time I tried.)

Also it has a way to build list of all dependencies to download them at a time.
I haven't used that for a long time. That is "make fetch-list".

Either way it will have block on some builds when waiting for source and
since builds depend on each other it has to block then too.

But figuring out order for downloads and dependencies seems tricky and
probably not much better than what we have now.

Any thoughts on this?

  Jeremy C. Reed