Platform independant startup environment?

I've noticed that a number of packages come with NetBSD rc.d startup scripts. I
also notice that a lot of the pkgsrc platforms don't have the NetBSD rc.d
system. ;)  Would it make sense to create (or port) a similar rc.d system and
make it platform agnostic that the hosting platform could just execute the
"pkgsrc startup mechanism" and all of the rc.d scripts that a lot of packages
come with could "just work" with most platforms?

Alternatively a startup meta-definition syntax from which pkgsrc could generate
platform-specific startup data/files/mechanisms (such as launchd plists for Mac
OS X/Darwin, NetBSD rc.d scripts, Linux init.d, initng, etc.)?

Thinking out loud,
- Jesse

Jesse Peterson <>