Subject: Re: ultimate goal of DESTDIR support?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/2008 18:42:21
Klaus Heinz wrote:

> at the moment the default mode of installation pkgsrc supports is the
> "traditional" one: install files into live system as user "root" and create
> package from there.
>
> Late in 2006 Joerg Sonnenberger added support for installation to a
> directory DESTDIR: copy files as non-root user to temporary directory
> DESTDIR, create binary package from those files and use pkg_add to add the
> package to the live system.
>
> Although I do not remember seeing this explicitly said anywhere, I always
> had the impression that the intent of DESTDIR support was to get away
> from the current (traditional) method, ie some day in the future pkgsrc
> would use DESTDIR installations by default.
>
> Is this impression correct? Or is "DESTDIR" installation just a
> nice-to-have feature and takes second place in importance to the
> traditional method?

Your impression is correct, although I don't believe the pkgsrc-pmc has
made any formal announcement of this fact.  Purely from a technical
standpoint, it is much nicer to have a single way to install packages --
the DESTDIR approach is to only use binary packages -- instead of the
parallel methods currently used by the "traditional" method that depend
on whether you are building from /usr/pkgsrc or if you are installing
from a binary package.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny C. Lam