Re: patch filenames

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 05:27:26PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> > > Because at some time in the future, someone else will use patch-aa for a
> > > completely unrelated file, which makes the CVS history confusing. The
> > > chance that patch-configureac is used for anything else than a
> > > configure.ac file is very, very small.
> >
> > This sounds like a policy change in handling patch files.
> >
> > Was that somewhere discussed and decided to go this way?
> > And where is that documented? 11.3.2 in pkgsrc.txt is talking about the
> > old schema.
>
> It was discussed but it was never agreed to.  Personally I think it is
> a good idea and we should adopt it but this should not have been
> committed until the policy was changed.

I didn't say I don't like it, but it was a little sudden without a
notice. And then we have to define a naming schema for handling
files with the same name. e.g. using the full path for the file
or something like that. FreeBSD uses :: for the directory delimiter.

Do we always use it or from case to case if we have more then
one file with the same name?

Bernd

P.S. Mail-Followup-to is set