Re: Handling directories

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:17:10 +0100
Roland Illig <rillig%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
Another question is why I should manually add these @dirrm commands
and why they are not generated automatically.
Another question is why they are necessary at all. I've already added a task to Joerg's TODO list to make them unnecessary (PR 37087).

Hmm.  Are you assuming that you can figure out what directories are
added by the package and what are added by the system (or a dependent
package) automatically?  I'm not so sure you can.  The package
maintainer is probably the only one who can know that for sure.  I
suppose you can just remove empty directories but then you lose the
warning when a directory is expected to be empty but isn't.

The idea of the change would be to make the PLIST files as short as possible, while still retaining enough redundancy so that common errors can be detected.

Can you give some examples where the warning you mentioned would be useful, assuming that the packages are built using CHECK_FILES=yes?

Do we have a tool that quickly lists all the files in $LOCALBASE that do not belong to any of the installed packages?

Roland