Subject: Re: Solaris packages from pkgsrc
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: None <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/2007 09:07:09
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Malcolm Herbert wrote:

> maybe it would be better to think of this in general terms - forget that
> we are targetting Solaris in this case, as far as I can see there are
> two main functions of pkgsrc - as a build environment and as a package
> management environment.
>
> If we were able to make the build environment independant of how
> packages were managed, then we could easily generate native packages for
> any OS, not just pkgsrc tarballs and Solaris packages.

pkgsrc infrastructure was improved/abstracted for that.

See:

pkgsrc/mk/flavor/README which says "Currently, there is only one (the
native pkgsrc tools), but maybe we can support RPM, dpkg or the Solaris
native packages someday."

And read this initial commit message:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/mk/flavor/pkg/package.mk?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

So using pkgsrc to build your native packages is a great idea.

  Jeremy C. Reed