Subject: Re: odd firefox/acroread behavior w/modular-xorg
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2007 12:31:55
Sorry for the late answer. But I didn't read it before my vacation, and
not right after, and nobody seems to have replied...

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 01:08:37AM -0700, Tom Spindler wrote:
> After switching to modular xorg, things have gone pretty smoothly -
> except firefox can no longer invoke acroread5 properly; when it tries,
> the following message appears:
>
> /usr/pkg/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: symbol lookup error: /usr/pkg/lib/libICE.so.6: undefined symbol: __sF
>
> It appears that this is the same problem that occured back in March -
> namely, http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2007/03/01/0000.html
>
> Any ideas why it's recurred? The same fix works - unsetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> in /usr/pkg/bin/acroread[5] - FWIW.

__sF sounds like an internal variable used by the stdio library, part of
libc.

That you see references to it sounds like it can't find its libc - (or that
it was compiled with a different libc than it can find).

However, that unsetting LD_... works, tells me, that somehow the Linux
emulation libc isn't in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I think Acrobat is a Linux
binary). If it works that way, not using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the correct
solution. Nothing on ELF systems *should* need one, as ELF binaries have
a library search path embedded.

Regards,
	-is
--