Subject: Re: Is the Solaris /bin/sh still considered supported by pkgsrc?
To: None <>
From: Alistair Crooks <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/24/2007 08:20:20
On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 01:39:29PM +1300, wrote:
> Alistair Crooks writes:
> > Your patch for the bootstrap, whilst good, and a step forward,
> > is only papering over the cracks. The real solution to the crack
> > is to get Sun to drag their userland into the 1990s.
> When Alistair wakes up from that lovely dream I imagine he'll conclude
> that getting Pkgsrc to provide the tools for the job IS a real
> solution.

Indeed.  I don't think I could have put it better myself, I just
wanted to voice my opinions about the strange beast that is Solaris

And I have long wondered if we should provide a bootstrap version
of NetBSD's (a)sh for just that reason.
> The Solaris userland is just too odd.  Better to build a whole new
> wall, and forget about the cracked crumbling wall behind :)
> Mmmmm....  Shiny Teflon-coated Pkgsrc wall...

Now, to sleep, perchance to dream.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity for that - two literary quotes in
the same day.