Subject: Re: Usage of USE_TOOLS (was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/tools)
To: None <>
From: Min Sik Kim <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/22/2007 14:31:40
On Nov 22, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:47:35PM -0800, Min Sik Kim wrote:
>> I don't think using native perl as a tool will break existing
>> packages.
> It breaks packages which require Perl and a module from "pkgsrc"
> as a build tool. The "gimp" package is an example for this.
> I have therefore backed out your change.

Those packages were broken because they use USE_TOOLS when they
require a pkgsrc package.  I proposed a way to fix them (
) and am waiting for us to reach a consensus on how to interpret

> Please do not commit it again until you have tried a bulk build with
> this change and can confirm that it doesn't break packages.

For the record, I did a bulk build with those affected packages and
didn't notice any new breakage on Darwin 9.x because lang/perl5 didn't
build then.  Sorry for breakages on other versions of Darwin.