Subject: Re: Usage of USE_TOOLS (was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/tools)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2007 23:17:45
On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:05:24PM -0800, Min Sik Kim wrote:
> Yes, intltool requires pkgsrc perl, and so does pkglint.  And such packages
> must use DEPENDS.  USE_TOOLS should be used only when the package does not
> care whether the tool comes from pkgsrc or the native system as far as it
> is "adequate".

Where do you draw that conclusion from? I fundamentally disagree on that
point. The pkgsrc author shouldn't have to care. Each tool has a
specific meaning associated with it. The tools framework does more than
just a dependency. It also provides wrappers/stubs for example.

> (We will need more types of dependencies then these two as Roland
> pointed out earlier in this thread.)

I mostly disagree with Roland on that as well.

Joerg