Subject: Re: Usage of USE_TOOLS
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2007 12:03:06
On Nov 19, 2007, at 3:48 PM, Roland Illig wrote:

> Min Sik Kim wrote:
>> The USE_TOOLS definition is used both internally by pkgsrc and also
>> for individual packages to define what commands are needed for
>> building  a package (like BUILD_DEPENDS) or for later run-time of an
>> installed packaged (such as DEPENDS). If the native system provides
>> an adequate tool, then in many cases, a pkgsrc package will not be
>> used.
>
> The confusion gets clear when we consider cross-compiling SPARC
> packages (target platform) on i386 (native platform). There are many
> types of dependencies:
>
> USE_TOOLS: tools for the native platform. References to these tools
> should not end up in the package binary, unless the paths are the
> same. (XXX: How can this be checked?)

In both this definition of USE_TOOLS and the definition of the guide,
using USE_TOOLS when pkgsrc perl is required is wrong (e.g. pkgtools/
pkglint and textproc/intltool which need perl with additional perl
modules installed by pkgsrc).  If nobody objects, I will change those
packages to use normal dependency (DEPENDS or BUILD_DEPENDS).  I'm
thinking about adding application.mk like lang/python has.

Regards,
Min