Subject: Types of dependencies (was: Re: Usage of USE_TOOLS)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2007 12:28:05
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 12:48:04AM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
>>USE_TOOLS: tools for the native platform. References to these tools
>>should not end up in the package binary, unless the paths are the same.
>>(XXX: How can this be checked?)
>

> So what does USE_TOOLS+= perl:run means in that scheme, then?

<opinion>
Well, ahemmm, I guess it's a design mistake, or at least an inexactness.
When USE_TOOLS had been added, we didn't have cross-compiling in mind.
And since the USE_TOOLS syntax was very nice, it was extended to cover
runtime dependencies as well.
</opinion>

USE_TOOLS:build: A shortcut for BUILD_DEPENDS (and NATIVE_DEPENDS (which
is not yet(?) in pkgsrc)).

USE_TOOLS:run: A shortcut for DEPENDS.

USE_TOOLS:pkgsrc: Only NATIVE_DEPENDS.

Roland