Subject: Re: Usage of USE_TOOLS
To: <>
From: Jon Buller <jon@Bullers.Net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/19/2007 19:59:59
Roland Illig wrote:
> Min Sik Kim wrote:
>> The USE_TOOLS definition is used both internally by pkgsrc and also
>> for individual packages to define what commands are needed for
>> building  a package (like BUILD_DEPENDS) or for later run-time of an
>> installed packaged (such as DEPENDS). If the native system provides
>> an adequate tool, then in many cases, a pkgsrc package will not be
>> used.
>
> The confusion gets clear when we consider cross-compiling SPARC packages
> (target platform) on i386 (native platform). There are many types of
> dependencies:
>
> USE_TOOLS: tools for the native platform. References to these tools
> should not end up in the package binary, unless the paths are the same.
> (XXX: How can this be checked?)
>
> BOOTSTRAP_DEPENDS: Packages for the native platform that must be
> installed when building the package.
>

> DEPENDS: Packages for the target platform that are needed at runtime and
> when building the package.
>
> BUILD_DEPENDS: Packages for the target platform that must be installed
> when the package is built. They are not needed for running the package
> later.
>
> BUILDLINK_DEPENDS: Packages for the target platform whose files must be
> available to the compilers and linker when building a package.
>

> I hope that these definitions meet everyone's view and that the correct
> types of dependencies will be used by all pkgsrc packages in the
> not-too-far future. Currently they aren't.

So how should I set up lang/sbcl?  In theory it could cross-compile
itself to another machine arch or OS, but that would probably be a very
difficult thing to do in pkgsrc.  (It requires several back and forth
passes running tools on the host and target to bring things up.)
However, SBCL is pretty much required to build itself on a native
platform.  In theory, CLisp could also do the job, but reality seems to
be somewhat different. Other Common Lisp systems may (or may not) be
able to the job also, but we don't have any in pkgsrc.

Should I have lang/sbcl in USE_TOOLS, BOOTSTRAP_DEPENDS, or
BUILD_DEPENDS?  And to install the package, lang/sbcl needs to be
removed first.  Should I just add a pre-install target that runs
"pkg_delete sbcl"?

Jon