Subject: Re: lang/ruby18-base fails to build on netbsd-3 i386
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/19/2007 11:15:27
Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message <47412C10.5090502@berklee.edu>
> 	on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:24:16 -0500,
> 	Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu> wrote:
>>> BTW, what is your hardware environment?
>>>

>> Actually I was removing the PKG_OPTION with the `-' to get it to work.
>>
>> My hardware is i386. Very plain.
> It dosen't have useful information that "Very plain."  What is your
> machine's CPU and how many memory dose it have?

Sorry - that was hasty...

total memory = 223 MB
avail memory = 210 MB
BIOS32 rev. 0 found at 0xfdae0
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
cpu0: AMD Athlon (686-class), 1110.97 MHz, id 0x662
cpu0: features c3cbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features c3cbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MPC,MMXX,MMX>
cpu0: features c3cbfbff<FXSR,SSE,3DNOW2,3DNOW>
cpu0: "AMD Athlon(tm) Processor"
cpu0: I-cache 64 KB 64B/line 2-way, D-cache 64 KB 64B/line 2-way
cpu0: L2 cache 256 KB 64B/line 16-way
cpu0: ITLB 16 4 KB entries fully associative, 8 4 MB entries fully
associative
cpu0: DTLB 32 4 KB entries fully associative, 8 4 MB entries 4-way
cpu0: 8 page colors

>> My suspicion at this point is that I'm running out of disk. I have some
>> reports of this in dmesg. And /home is 94% before running the build.
>> Does ruby-build-ri-db require ~512M ?? That's about what I have left.
>> Subtract of course the extract of the source packages for ruby.
>
> % du -sk /work/NetBSD-3/i386.pkg_comp/pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/lang/ruby18-base/default
> 62606 /work/NetBSD-3/i386.pkg_comp/pkg_comp/obj/pkgsrc/lang/ruby18-base/default
>
> Bulding ri's db dosen't consume working area, but installing file
> system and runtime memory.

It's all going to the same place anyway. But the whole disk filling up
thing is entirely just speculation.

I was going to try to move my WRKOBJDIR environment to a bigger volume,
but if you think it's not that demanding of space I may try to get rid
of some other junk in /home instead.

Thanks.

Louis