Subject: Re: option in gnome-base to avoid smb?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/03/2007 14:48:34
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 12:15:56PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I'm already doing this with -arts to avoid pulling it into a few
>> packages, but that option was preexisting, and optionizing a
>> meta-package seems a bit different.
>
> I don't want to see options in meta packages. That feels *very* wrong.

I thought that objection might arise, and I can sort of see the point.
Do you have a proposal for how to accomodate someone who wants to avoid
samba being built/installed but does want (or at least not object to)
99% of gnome-base?

I think this would be pretty simple, just defining a var with smb option
and putting it in suggested, and an if around the dependency.

What's the difference between omitting a dependency in a meta-pkg and
omitting a dependency and changing the build in a regular package?  The
latter is the normal way, and it seems quite similar.

  Roland writes:

  > PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS-=         smb

  There is no "-=" operator in bmake. Use this instead:

  PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=        -smb

Ooops, I knew that, and that's what I meant.  Thanks for reminding me,
and for clarifying for the archives.