Subject: Re: Poor state of AIX support
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2007 20:41:01
Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 06:15:10PM +0200, Mark Weinem wrote:

I care very much. The place where I work (a college IT department) has
largely adopted pkgsrc for their Linux servers. This is mostly my doing.
I've also adopted pkgsrc on our AIX system which runs the college's main
business services (student records, financials, hr etc.)

My most recent experience with AIX is mixed. I'm currently working off
an unclean bootstrap. Everything built, but the bootstrap itself failed.
See pkg/36563 (I think).

We just replaced our production system and I will have the old system as
a sandbox. I would very much like to do bulk builds, or at least large
groups of packages on this system.

I've been using GCC. This may be a hindrance, but I'm yet to convince my
boss to pony up the $3K+ to buy xlC for AIX 5.3.

But I've been subsisting on what I have. See below.

I'd love to help. Feel free to contact me off-list...

Louis

$ uname -a
AIX xxxxxxx 3 5 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

$ pkg_info
bootstrap-mk-files-20061111 *.mk files for the bootstrap bmake utility
digest-20060826     Message digest wrapper utility
patch-2.5.4nb2      Patch files using diff output
gzip-base-1.2.4bnb2 Compress or expand files
libtool-base-1.5.22nb4 Generic shared library support script (the script
itself)
bzip2-1.0.4         Block-sorting file compressor
pkg_install-info-4.5nb3 Standalone GNU info file installation utility
libiconv-1.11       Character set conversion library
gettext-lib-0.14.6  Internationalized Message Handling Library (libintl)
gettext-tools-0.14.6 Tools for providing messages in different languages
gmake-3.81          GNU version of 'make' utility
zlib-1.2.3          General purpose data compression library
gnupg-1.4.7         GNU Privacy Guard, public-Key encryption and digital
signatures
rsync-2.6.9         Network file distribution/synchronisation utility
expat-2.0.1         XML parser library written in C
apr-0.9.12.2.0.59nb3 Apache Portable Runtime
pkg-config-0.21nb1  System for managing library compile/link flags
perl-5.8.8nb4       Practical Extraction and Report Language
vim-share-7.1.2     Data files for the vim editor (vi clone)
automake-1.10       GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
m4-1.4.9nb1         GNU version of UNIX m4 macro language processor
autoconf-2.61       Generates automatic source code configuration scripts
ghostscript-fonts-8.11nb1 Postscript fonts for Aladdin Ghostscript
vim-7.1.2           Vim editor (vi clone) without GUI
bison-2.3           GNU yacc(1) replacement
gtexinfo-4.8nb7     GNU info documentation utilities
flex-2.5.33nb2      Fast clone of lex(1), the lexical scanner generator
png-1.2.18          Library for manipulating PNG images
unzip-5.52nb3       List, test and extract compressed files in a ZIP archive
jpeg-6bnb4          IJG's jpeg compression utilities
jasper-1.900.1      Software-based reference implementation of the
JPEG-2000 codec
enscript-1.6.3nb4   ASCII-to-PostScript filter
diffutils-2.8.1nb2  GNU diff utilities - find the differences between files
findutils-4.1nb6    The GNU find, xargs and locate utilities
url2pkg-2.6         Tool to automate initial steps in building a package
pkgdiff-0.119       Tools to create, maintain and send back patches for
pkgsrc
pkg_alternatives-1.4 Generic wrappers for programs with similar interfaces