Subject: pkg_add -u doesn't work to update conflicting package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2007 19:56:34
So I have installed:

GConf2-2.14.0

I want to update:

$ pkg_add -u Conf-2.18.0.1nb1.tgz

pkg_add: Conflicting package `GConf2-2.14.0'installed, please use
        "pkg_delete GConf2-2.14.0" first to remove it!
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

I see that pkgsrc/devel/GConf/Makefile has:

CONFLICTS+=     GConf2-[0-9]*

How to tell pkg_add that this is replacement?

So this reminds me of our September thread "difficulty from renaming
packages, and how to deal". It was suggested we add a setting to the
Makefiles to note the replacement. So if this existed -- pkg_add could
ignore the CONFLICTS if the PREV_PKGNAME had the same PKGBASE as the
CONFLICTS.

Now I have many packages depending on GConf2.

I need to somehow convince them to depend on GConf (no 2) instead.

I can do this manually. But I was hoping to save time by using binary
packages.

  Jeremy C. Reed