Subject: Re: Outdated ion3 pkgsrc in violation of the license
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2007 22:08:17
On 2007-10-29 09:05:44 (+0100), Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 06:16:05PM +0100, Philip Paeps wrote:
> > >
> > > It was sent to me as well.  I replied forgetting to Cc: the list.  My
> > > reply was that I had sent a patch to update to the latest version on 28
> > > September but that pkgsrc was frozen at the time.
> >
> > I've attached the patch again here -- I realize now that I only sent it to
> > ghen@, who has been playing NetBSD proxy for me, and not to any list.
> >
> > If someone would like to commit this - with or without extra RESTRICTED
> > lines, I would be very grateful.
>

> Sorry Philip, I forgot about it after the freeze (and I'm not sure whether
> he would have accepted terms like "freeze" and "stable branch" as an excuse,
> judging from his e-mail).

No worries. :-)

> Anyway, I think he's being unreasonable.

I think that's the most polite conclusion we can draw about him... ;-)

> Even if I had committed this update "on time", a next one would have been
> too late.  The guy just seems to have a problem with packagers in general.
> He has even threatened with legal action against some[*].  That's not
> someone I want to deal with, and others here have expressed similar
> opinions.

I have no strong opinion on how to go forward.  If it is decided to keep the
package in pkgsrc, I will be happy to continue submitting patches to keep it
up to date as well as I can.  On the other hand, I won't be particularly upset
if it's decided to axe the package in view of the author's unreasonable views
on software package management and reality in general.

If the general consensus is to axe the package, let's axe it.  If there is no
consensus, we can add restrictions and warnings and see how that goes and axe
it anyway if the author still grumbles about it.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                       Always read the label
philip@freebsd.org

  "You're dead," he said. Keli waited. She couldn't think of any suitable
  reply. "I'm not" lacked a certain style, while "Is it serious?" seemed
  somehow too frivolous.
          -- Princess Keli in trouble
             (Terry Pratchett, Mort)