Subject: Re: Outdated ion3 pkgsrc in violation of the license
To: Tuomo Valkonen <>
From: matthew sporleder <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2007 10:51:44
On 10/29/07, Tuomo Valkonen <> wrote:
> On 2007-10-29, De Zeurkous <> wrote:
> > Does having a problem with 'packagers in general' -- one that I personally
> > share, although I'll be the first to acknowledge the necessity of package
> > systems -- make a person unreasonable?
> There needs to be package systems, but decentralised ones that authors
> can easily use to provide their software in for various platforms, and
> not have to fall victim to centralised (megafreeze) distributions that
> couldn't give a rat's ass about the author's time, reputation, and vision
> for the project.

You could maintain/distribute the necessary files for various package
systems you'd like to control; package systems could simply feed these
from your site.  (such as the PLIST and Makefile for pkgsrc--
accepting patches will also reduce the difficulty of staying

I understand that there are many packaging systems and this could be a
burden for you, but it's a solution.  ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by a megafreeze not caring about your time,
etc, but you don't author or maintain the dependencies of building
your package, so it's really the only reasonable way to ensure working