Subject: Re: stable symlink for quarterly branch downloads ?
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2007 07:48:12
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Roland Illig wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > I am looking at http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/ftp-layout.html
> >
> > How about having a stable symlink to match latest quarterly branch uploaded
> > for the OPSYS/ARCH/OSVERSION_* ?
>
> Would be fine with me. Feel free to add them. I will care about keeping them
> up-to-date.

I forgot something. What if the latest quarterly branch becomes very old
(like two quarters behind)? Then a "stable" identification would be wrong.

Maybe the symlink should be called "available"?

Or there could be two symlinks:

- stable -- which will be removed whenever it points to a branch that is
quarter behind and 30 days behind (assuming 30 days is enough time to get
a new quarter uploaded). This symlink may not exist.

- available -- will also point to most recent quarterly branch even if it
is very old. This symlink will always exist but will be changed to relect
last branch.

If the packages are being uploaded in increments, then the uploader can
make the decision on when to delete the old symlinks and recreate.

A simple script could be ran once per week to check the symlinks.

  Jeremy C. Reed