Subject: Re: Outdated ion3 pkgsrc in violation of the license
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2007 18:12:00
On 2007-10-27 16:36:47 (-0500), Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> See this email on NetBSD's tech-pkg below.

It was sent to me as well.  I replied forgetting to Cc: the list.  My reply
was that I had sent a patch to update to the latest version on 28 September
but that pkgsrc was frozen at the time.

> The ion-3rc-20070902/LICENSE makes it not worth maintaining this software in
> pkgsrc.

That's a fairly bold statement, but I understand your perspective.  As a user
of the software, it's very handy to just go into pkgsrc and make (update) it.

> But if you or pkgsrc users want to keep it around, the pkgsrc mechanism to
> keep us from storing the source or packages is like:
>
> RESTRICTED=		License does not allow old versions.
> NO_SRC_ON_FTP=	${RESTRICTED}
> NO_SRC_ON_CDROM=	${RESTRICTED}
> NO_BIN_ON_FTP=	${RESTRICTED}
> NO_BIN_ON_CDROM=	${RESTRICTED}
>
> What do you want to do?

I find it handy to have in pkgsrc.  I will be happy to continue keeping the
package up to date even with the restrictions in place.  If you feel it's
better to throw it out, I won't protest (much), however.

Regards,

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                         Shaken, not stirred
philip@freebsd.org

  * MrTea wonders what "I'm the predictive jargon jargon wombat" would
      translate to
  <MrTea> or I could just have a japanese theme tune, "Watashi wa PREDICTIVE
      JARGON JARGON WOMBAT"