Subject: Re: Outdated ion3 pkgsrc in violation of the license
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, cube@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <veego@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2007 00:03:52
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 04:36:47PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Philip,
>
> See this email on NetBSD's tech-pkg below.

Wow, that was a 'nice' mail.

I for myself would say: Remove all traces of ion from pkgsrc.

E.g.: http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/download.html

: Unofficial/distribution-specific packages
:
: Various distributions carry packages that claim to be Ion. These are too
: often out-dated without prominently mentioning this fact, and contain
: unapproved modifications that void any support. Beware of such packages,
: and please report them, because these people are lying to you, and are
: infringing on the Ion, Ion3, etc. trademarks.

Thats a wording which is bejoind what I expect from people who use a LGPL
license schema, which in this case is a modified one.
The other content on that webpage doesn't help to make me feel better.

> The ion-3rc-20070902/LICENSE makes it not worth maintaining this software
> in pkgsrc.

Yeah, I agree and we should remove pkgsrc/wm/ion too, thats why I added
Quentin to the mail.

> But if you or pkgsrc users want to keep it around, the pkgsrc mechanism to
> keep us from storing the source or packages is like:
>
> RESTRICTED=		License does not allow old versions.
> NO_SRC_ON_FTP=		${RESTRICTED}
> NO_SRC_ON_CDROM=	${RESTRICTED}
> NO_BIN_ON_FTP=		${RESTRICTED}
> NO_BIN_ON_CDROM=	${RESTRICTED}
>
> What do you want to do?

As I mentioned above: Remove all ion traces

Regards,
Bernd