Subject: Re: simplifying an installation of examples and doc files
To: Roland Illig <rillig@netbsd.org>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2007 10:59:36
Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:29:41 +0200, Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org> писал(а):

> Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>> This looks very good for me.
>> But one thing is probably missed: permissions (or the installations
>>program,
>> INSTALL_DATA, INSTALL_SCRIPT etc.).
>
> I thought this would most likely be used for documentation files, so I
>left off the permissions setting to keep things simple. Let's see if there
>are many cases where the permissions should be different from 444. We can
>add it then.

Ok. I think all interesting numbers can easily be calculated.

pkgsrc>find . -name 'Makefile*' | xargs awk '/(do|post)-install.*:/, (NF ==
0) || /[.]include/' > /tmp/do-install.txt
pkgsrc>grep INSTALL_DATA /tmp/do-install.txt | wc -l
7650
pkgsrc>grep INSTALL_SCRIPT /tmp/do-install.txt | wc -l
827
pkgsrc>grep INSTALL_PROGRAM /tmp/do-install.txt | wc -l
1495
pkgsrc>grep INSTALL_ /tmp/do-install.txt | grep -v INSTALL_DIR | wc -l
11097
pkgsrc>echo '11097-1495-827-7650' | bc # all other INSTALL_
1125
pkgsrc>

In case permissions or installing program feature will be implemented,
some of (do|post)-install sections may be completely rewriten with
new INST_ framework.
IMHO a few predefined INST_{TO,INSTPROG}.{bin,scripts,docs,examples}
cannot make pkgsrc much harder for packagers (to remember).