Subject: Re: simplifying an installation of examples and doc files
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/21/2007 23:41:46
Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 09:10:12PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> [..]
>

>>I'd like to make this a bit more generic, so that we can do some more
>>things with it that are often needed. The usage pattern would be similar
>>to that of the SUBST framework. Of cource, for the two cases you
>>mentioned (doc and examples), it should be exactly as short as you proposed.
>

> Could we please keep it simple and not adding too much magic here?

I tried to trade-off complexity for generality. I don't think the
following lines are hard to understand:

INST_GROUPS+=       docs
INST_FROM.docs=     doc
INST_FILES.docs=    *.html
INST_TO.docs=       share/doc/${PKGNAME}

Well, ok, compared to the explicit command

cd ${WRKSRC}/doc \
&& ${INSTALL_DATA} *.html ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}/share/doc/${PKGNAME}/.

it may be pretty verbose. I thought I could remove some of the
redundancy (WRKSRC, DESTDIR, PREFIX), but now I think I only made it worse.

Roland