Subject: Re: tkined and tcl-scotty
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Chris Turner <c.turner@199technologies.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2007 21:14:30
Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
>
> What is the status on net/tkined and net/tcl-scotty? They appear to be
> nolonger maintained, the links to master download sites don't work and whilst
> these packages build fine they don't work. The bugs database shows PR26185,
> PR30007 and PR32484 as open and neither receiving any attention. My suggest
> to have these packages removed?

Personally, I'm using tkined currently on DragonFly as a diagramming
tool, with the hope to eventually investigate the actual network
monitoring aspects (along with the unfortunate bitrot/bugs) - Have
not tried on NetBSD as the only system I have is a MicroVAX installed
w/o X support libraries, but the tool is useful IMHO as-is for dragonfly
if only as a simple network diagramming tool..

Although not the most active or organized development, there have been
commmits in less than a year viewable on a new trac site:

https://trac.eecs.jacobs-university.de/projects/scotty/

my last dragonfly build of the tool is from the 2007Q1 branch,
planning on doing a bulk build this weekend from the new Q3 branch..

the package probably needs some TLC, unfortunately..

Has anyone tried to contact upstream on this one?

perhaps there are other would-be users/tinkerers in the same boat..

not sure how that would relate to the pkgsrc tree, but in any case..

</2c from a non-committer>

- Chris