Subject: Re: RFC: Fix for IMAKE_MANINSTALL handling
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/13/2007 02:02:19
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 11:32:23PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>>Currently, the IMAKE_MANINSTALL handling is broken. On many platforms, it
>>is set to "maninstall catinstall" although imake only installs the
>>catpages.
>

> That is actually wrong. On many platforms imake installs man pages and
> the cat page handling comes from the infrastructure. This is broken on
> NetBSD as it installs cat pages only for that. So IMO IMAKE_MANINSTALL
> can basically be removed.

By "infrastructure", did you mean pkgsrc? I cannot see the code that is
supposed to do that. I grepped for "roff", but found nothing interesting.

There are implementations of X11 that behave differently (XFree86 4.5
and XFree86 4.6). How do you intend to support them both without having
the IMAKE_MANINSTALL variable?

>>I have some code that fixes this issue by adding a PLIST "macro"

> I certainly don't think this complication is justified.

I think it is just as complicated as it has to be. Otherwise, how do you
generate two bin-PLIST entries from one src-PLIST line, without skipping
  some of the PLIST transformations for one of the items?

Roland