Subject: Re: What is MANINSTALL good for?
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2007 09:39:53
On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 04:32:40PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:

> I am wondering what the variable MANINSTALL is, where it comes from and
> why we should keep it in pkgsrc.
>
> Most programs ignore this variable anyway, and I doubt there are many
> pkgsrc users actually knowing that they can set this variable.
>
> I'd like to get rid of the extra complexity this variable brings, unless
> someone can persuade me that we really need it.

MANINSTALL is not an "action" variable that the user sets to tell
pkgsrc to do something.  MANINSTALL is a "descriptive" variable that
a package Makefile sets in order to describe to pkgsrc (in particular,
the plist module) what man and catman pages the package installs.
Any other use of this variable is wrong.

I hope this clarifies things.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam