Subject: Re: difficulty from renaming packages, and how to deal
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/21/2007 11:46:14
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> But what with packages that have a differrent API or datafile format in
> newer versions?  E.g. if apache-1.3.x or PostgreSQL 7.x get's EOL'd, I'd
> vastly prefer my update script to error out than to blindly update it to
> the latest version.

That was sort of my point in the other thread about apache naming. I don't
want my binary-only upgrade to blindly update from apache to apache to
apache (I purposely leave out versions there as the package names
themselves are currently the same.)

So now I can just check if PKGPATH is different and then error out.

  Jeremy C. Reed