Subject: Re: why apache-2.x is not apache2-2.x? (fwd)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Ondrej Tuma <pkgsrc@blackmouse.biz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/19/2007 20:53:15
Hi,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:20:43 +0100
Matthias Scheler <tron@netbsd.org> wrote:

> And I consider Apache 1.3.x and Apache 2.0.x legacy version which
> should go away at some point (hopefully rather sooner than later).

Thats really not great idea, because:

* all versions are still supported
* all versions are still in use on many servers

Simply, only admins can do something like upgrade to new release branch
of this server daemon, because they know, what they do !! And why can i
upgrade something what working right, "without bugs" to some version
which have more bugs. I don't talk about security bugs !! And just
security bugs are good reason to have all versions in repository (like
sql, php or python).

But i thing, that could be good, to standard some multi-version system
for this packages. I think that could be good idea to someone, like
PKG_APACHE_DEFAULT, PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT, MYSQL_VERSION_DEFAULT,
PHP_VERSION_DEFAULT and so on from mk.conf, which can be use in binary
world
(pkg_add and so on)

If i remember right, this (or something like this) is in development.

--
Ondrej Tuma

   Www: www.blackmouse.biz, mcbig.webjet.cz
Jabber: mcbig@jabber.cz