Subject: Re: official logo proposal
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/19/2007 17:43:21
--+hzVtCVhCZp1LI1Y

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 08:58:36AM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> Dieter Baron wrote:
> >   The last thread on tech-pkg produced two basic logo designs.  While
> > the folding paper box design by Thomas Bieg is very original and
> > expresses elegantly what pkgsrc is about, it is a rather complex
> > design with many small parts;=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Text version of Thomas Bieg's logo (apologies to Thomas)...
>=20
>=20
>    /=3D=3D=3D+=3D=3D=3D+=3D=3D=3D\
>    | p | k | g |
>    \=3D=3D=3D+=3D=3D=3D+---/---+---+
>            | s | r | c |
>            +---+---+---+
>=20
>    +---+---+---+
>    | p | k | g |
>    +---+---+---+---+---+
>            | s | r | c |
>            +---+---+---+
>=20
>=20
> ... with and without the folding edges! I don't think this logo is
> complex at all.

I think the lid-less logo is just fine for us;  I like it a lot.  There's
no point in making it obvious it's an unfolded cube;  people will get it
when they go to our booth at a show and see a pkgsrc cube folded.

One of the best logo I know of is Carrefour's
(http://www.carrefour.com/).  The best proof of that would be that it
hasn't changed since it was introduced 50 years ago.

It's really not obvious it's a C embedded in a diamond, and usually
people won't realise until they're told or they really concentrate on
it;  which nobody really does because it's not what a logo is about.

Of course, once you see the letter C in it, you never look at the logo
the same way, it's not the red arrow opposed to the weird blue arrow
anymore.

> The cube, on the other hand, is very complex and difficult to reproduce.

You got that right, pal.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--+hzVtCVhCZp1LI1Y

--+hzVtCVhCZp1LI1Y--