Subject: Re: why apache-2.x is not apache2-2.x? (fwd)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/19/2007 10:38:33
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> What's the benefit of having different basenames?  Now they're just like
> different versions of the same package, similar to php, mysql, firefox,

The three apache packages are more than just different versions. I
consider them different software: different configurations, different
features, different compatibility (such as modules), and different
dependencies.

If I have "apache" installed and it is apache-1.x, I don't want an
semi-automated upgrade to attempt upgrading to apache-2.2.x because it is
available. (I will accept an upgrade of apache-1 to apache-1.)

I could check PKGPATH, but that should be unnecessary.

> If you really want to change this, don't forget to add proper CONFLICT's as
> well.

Understood.

  Jeremy C. Reed