Subject: Re: Disabling gtk-demo from gtk2
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/2007 17:27:13
On Jun 22, 2007, at 12:43 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 11:36:46PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> Can we disable the build of gtk-demo from the gtk2 package?  It seems
>> to take a rather long time to build and it is generally useless.
>
> Could you quantify that, please?

At last I got to doing this.  I built gtk2 alone, timing a 'make'
just after a 'make extract', inside a virtual machine with NetBSD-
current and up-to-date pkgsrc.

The current gtk2 package took 32m41s (real time) to build (wow,
that's a lot more than it used to take not-so-long-ago!).  If I
disable the 'demos' and 'tests' directories, the time is cut to
25m32s, so the speed savings is 7m.  This was run on a Core 2 Duo
2.16 machine (host; virtual machine is a bit slower ;-), so the
savings will be much bigger on older machines (but I'm lazy to try
now because it will take a long while...).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>