Subject: Re: perl's defined "man" directories
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/06/2007 13:00:26
Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
>> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>> On my system I have:
>>> $ perl -V | fmt 1 | grep -i man
>>>     -Dman1ext=1
>>>     -Dman1dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/man/man1
>>>     -Dsiteman1dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man1
>>>     -Dvendorman1dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/man/man1
>>>     -Dman3ext=3
>>>     -Dman3dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/man/man3
>>>     -Dsiteman3dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man3
>>>     -Dvendorman3dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/man/man3
>>> I am trying to get ikiwiki to install correctly by honoring a man
>>> page directory setting that can be provided by perl.
>>> I am not sure if I am supposed to use "vendor" or "site". But either
>>> way, it would be good if it was not under "lib/perl5/*_perl/".
>>
>> If you are making an ikiwiki package for pkgsrc, then you should use
>> the "vendor" directories.  "site" directories are for any local
>> modules that are not managed by pkgsrc.
>
> If site directories are not managed by pkgsrc, I'm wondering if we'd put
> them outside of /usr/pkg (e.g. in /usr/local).  Is that possible/easy?

This prompts the question of how to determine this directory.  I've left
them under /usr/pkg and had the "vendor" and "site" directories mirror
each other so that the perllink script can be used to easily override
vendor binaries and manual pages with site binaries and manual pages.

Perl also provides some way to specify the local search path through an
environment variable that escapes my memory at the moment.  This would
be an alternative way to locate "site" or otherwise private Perl modules.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>