Subject: Re: perl's defined "man" directories
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/06/2007 12:50:29
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On my system I have:
>
> $ perl -V | fmt 1 | grep -i man
>     -Dman1ext=1
>     -Dman1dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/man/man1
>     -Dsiteman1dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man1
>     -Dvendorman1dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/man/man1
>     -Dman3ext=3
>     -Dman3dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/man/man3
>     -Dsiteman3dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/site_perl/man/man3
>     -Dvendorman3dir=/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/man/man3
>
> I am trying to get ikiwiki to install correctly by honoring a man page
> directory setting that can be provided by perl.
>
> I am not sure if I am supposed to use "vendor" or "site". But either way,
> it would be good if it was not under "lib/perl5/*_perl/".

If you are making an ikiwiki package for pkgsrc, then you should use the
"vendor" directories.  "site" directories are for any local modules that
are not managed by pkgsrc.

All man pages are installed under lib/perl5/*_perl/man and section 1 man
pages are automatically symlinked into ${LOCALBASE} upon package
installation, provided you are using perl5/module.mk.

> Where can this be improved?
>
> If it is not okay to change, then what are the above settings for?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Can you elaborate?

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>