Subject: Re: pkg_rolling-replace calling 'make install'?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/23/2007 22:06:44
At 10:46 Uhr -0400 19.8.2007, Greg Troxel wrote:
>The basic issue is that sometimes a package A should be replaced
>(unsafe_depends or rebuild), and that package depends on some installed
>package B.  If B is out of date, and either B's bl3 default or A's
>explicit variable says that B is too old to be used, then pkgsrc's basic
>build target will reject the installed B and try to pull in B as a
>dependency, which causes build, install, and maybe package.  So this
>isn't really something that pkg_rr is doing - had you done "make
>replace" in www/dillo (from your original mail), you would have had the
>same issue.

Makes sense; thanks for the thorough explanation.

>When this situation arises, there are basically two choices:
>
> give up on updating package A, because B is too old
>
> update B

Would a

pkg_admin set rebuild=YES B

ensure that pkg_rr takes care of the issue?

>I always update B, and maybe pkgsrc should have a variable that says
>"when a depending package is required, and it's too old, do make replace
>on it instead of failing to install".  Note that you can do this
>manually (go to x11/gtk and 'make replace package clean' - it's already
>built so this will be fast.

That's what I did, yes. Since it's that obvious and easy, it would be handy
if either pkg_rr or the pkgsrc 'replace' mechanism took care of the replace
instead of requiring manual intervention, though.

>Then, rerun pkg_rr and it will pick up where it left off.

It does, yes. As long as it runs, it's a very nice gadget.  :)

	hauke