Subject: Re: pkgsrc.conf
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/17/2007 00:55:30
Dieter Baron wrote:
> In article <46C4133A.6030409@NetBSD.org> Roland wrote:
> : currently, the tools for managing binary packages are missing a
> : configuration file. I have created a first draft that addresses some of
> : the things I would like to see in such a configuration file. If you miss
> : something, please add it there.
>
> :      http://wiki.netbsd.se/pkgsrc.conf
>
>   Why different names from the variables used for the same purpose in
> pkgsrc (when building from source)?  Why a different syntax?  I would
> like to make it possible to use the same file for both pkg_add and
> pkgsrc.  Also, we already have code to parse and manipulate
> VARNAME=values files.

1. My mk.conf file does not only contain variable assignments. There are
also some conditionals, for loops and inclusions of other files. I
wouldn't like pkg_add to implement all this stuff again. What if the
variables contain things like ${OTHER_VARIABLE:S,foo,bar&baz,g:sh}, or,
more practically, ${DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES:Ngnu-gpl-3.0}?

2. I don't like upper-case letters. :)

3. Those who use only binary packages would not need a mk.conf file at
all. This file would be enough for their needs. And then, it does not
contain any settings that are irrelevant for binary-only environments.

It is true that the user would have to duplicate the list of acceptable
licenses, and I don't know how to solve this in the best way. :(

Roland