Subject: Re: pkgsrc.conf
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/16/2007 20:22:31
>> Nobody knows whether it was done manually or automatically, nobody knows
>>is
>> it garanteed that pkg-summary.gz is ALWAYS
>> present and is up-to-date most of the time.
>
> It is for those using pbulk. For the rest it dpends on whether they have
> a current pkg_install. netbsd-4 is good enough, the older not.

Sometimes, people who write documentation of read/verify the code
are more important than whose who write it. "is good enough" for what?
AFAIK Manuel Bouyer still use old bulk build framework.
The same for others.

>> Is there anybody who knows how you/pkgsrc_commiters/netbsd_developers
>> think about binary packages management?
>
> I *do* care about binary packages. Half of my commits are intended to
> fix issues in that area. I do not (yet) want to be very pushy for other
> bulk builders.

Ok, thank you very much for all your efforts. But how about official
NetBSD Foundation's/commiters' position about binary packages and tools
for managing them? This question is probably not for you personally.

P.S.
One my friend (FreeBSD user) tells me that building software (always!)
is a BSD-way. I don't believe him ;-)
Yes, I'm from that world you hate ;-)

---------
Эффективное, быстрое, живое изучение английского языка в Школе мистера Бола (http://www.mrball.nsys.by). Занятия с 03.09.07. Самые современные патенты, методики и know-how.