Subject: pkg_install versions and when it's needed?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/09/2007 20:16:57
I have a -current system, built on July 17.

I updated pkgsrc, and it was happy to install packages without demanding
a new pkg_install, even though the version in current is now out of
date.

With all the churn in pkg_install lately, I'm concerned that the 'new
enough' logic may leave people in a bad state (I'm helping someone over
the phone who's losing because of this, but I'm not sure exactly how).

So, should pkgsrc be marked so that 20070809 pkg_install is required?
Or should people revert to what's in netbsd-3, netbsd-4, or current?