Subject: Re: Modular configuration files
To: Matthias Scheler <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/2007 09:31:46
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> I've switched one of my systems from 6.9 to modular yesterday.
> One of the things I noticed was that the new X server immediately picked
> up existing configuration files in "/etc/X11".
> Although this was useful behavior on that point of time it is IMHO not the
> correct behaviour. It seems that modular doesn't pay any attention
> to "${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}" at all. Do we have a strategy for this?

Your observation about /etc/X11 and modular-xorg-server is correct.  I
took a look at the code last night because the Xorg server wasn't
picking up my xorg.conf file in my PKG_SYSCONFBASE=/etc/pkg.  It turns
out the server itself ignores any --sysconfdir directive passed to the
configure script (which we don't pass anyway) and hardcodes the
following locations to find its configuration file:

I'm considering putting ${sysconfdir} at the head of this list so that
these standard locations can be used as fallbacks.

I expect there will be several other modular packages that will
need similar treatment.

	-- Johnny Lam <>