Subject: Re: (Incomplete) List of pkgsrc Improvements
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Matthias Scheler <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/2007 13:45:58
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 05:01:43PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> I just hope we don't end with a pkg_add similar to Fedora's yum.  It
> takes *ages* to download lots of tiny files (the "headers" for each
> package) from a remote server.

Yes, "yum" is slow. The fact that it is a Python script probably
contributes to that problem. There are however much better tools
which do a similar job.

When I run "aptitude" (Debian/Ubuntu package management tool) on my
Ubuntu desktop at work it needs about two seconds to figure out
new packages are available on the repositories my system uses.

	Kind regards

Matthias Scheler