Subject: Re: (Incomplete) List of pkgsrc Improvements
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2007 15:51:43
In article <20070731103235.GA5188@britannica.bec.de> Joerg wrote:
: On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:17:46PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
: > 1. pkg_install improvements
: >
: > 1.1 include common INSTALL snippets
: > 1.2 make pkg_add use a config file
: > 1.3 sysadmin control over installation actions
: > 1.4 fix open-ended dependencies

: This are all planned, but will take some time.

  I'm aware of that; our discussions at pkgsrcCon heavily influenced
this document.  It's here so we don't forget and others know what's
planned.

: Far more critical is
: fixing the ftpio support because that is a show-stopper for converting
: pkg_add to be more useful.

  What needs fixing?

: > 2. binary package creation improvements
: > 2.1 build binary packages completely without root privileges

: There are some pending questions for the bootstrap left, but this will
: go on this week.

  Great news.

: > 2.2 build binary packages for multiple options settings

: As long as the package gets different names and I have a variable to
: select different sets, pbulk can do this already. See
: mk/pbulk/pbulk-index.mk for the pkgsrc side.

  I know; that helped shape the proposal.  But we also need support in
pkg_add for the binary packages to be useful.

: > 3.2 use sqlite3 for pkg_summary

: I don't agree on this. pkg_summary as plain text is IMO far preferable,
: because it is a better distribution format. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be
: indexed as well, but the primary format should stay as plain text.

  I think sooner or later pkg_add will have to consult this file as
well, and I don't want pkg_add to parse this huge file on each run.
But then again, I don't want pkg_add to download it on each run
either, and if we keep a local copy, we might as well import it into
an sqlite3 database at that time.

  The only problem I see with distributing it as a text file is that
it's harder to maintain.  But there already is a tool to help with
that in pkgsrc-wip, so maybe it's not a big deal either.

					yours,
					dillo