Subject: Re: (Incomplete) List of pkgsrc Improvements
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2007 08:42:51
Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:28:00AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>   1.4 fix open-ended dependencies
>>
>> I agree, but I think the problem is bigger than this.
>>
>> In using pkg_rolling-replace, I find that there are often needless
>> rebuilds when a package is updated, e.g., from x.ynb1 to x.ynb2.  Here,
>> there are no ABI changes, and there is no need to rebuild dependencies.
>> For some updates, there aren't ABI changes, and for some there are, and
>> it's hard to tell.
>>
>> ABI is more than shlib versions, althoug that's 99% of it in practice.
>> So, I'd like to see an explicit ABI version, and to have way for 'make
>> replace' to only set unsafe_depends if the ABI version changes.
>
>   That is precisely what I suggested, I just called it differently:
> When the ABI changes in a backwards incompatible way (for whatever
> reason), we note that the package is no longer backwards compatible
> with earlier versions.

OK, but we have to have an ABI version (maybe that's what you mean by
'noting that the package is no longer backwards compatible), so we can
answer the question: is replacing version x of pkg foo with version y an
ABI change?  Given that, I think I can very easily add the unsafe
tagging features that I would like.