Subject: Re: (Incomplete) List of pkgsrc Improvements
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2007 12:32:35
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:17:46PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> 1. pkg_install improvements
>
> 1.1 include common INSTALL snippets
> 1.2 make pkg_add use a config file
> 1.3 sysadmin control over installation actions
> 1.4 fix open-ended dependencies

This are all planned, but will take some time. Far more critical is
fixing the ftpio support because that is a show-stopper for converting
pkg_add to be more useful.

> 2. binary package creation improvements
> 2.1 build binary packages completely without root privileges

There are some pending questions for the bootstrap left, but this will
go on this week.

> 2.2 build binary packages for multiple options settings

As long as the package gets different names and I have a variable to
select different sets, pbulk can do this already. See
mk/pbulk/pbulk-index.mk for the pkgsrc side.

> 3. improve meta information storage
> 3.1 use sqlite3 for /var/db

This is a long term goal as well, at least in the sense of an indexed
file. I'm not feeling well with using it exclusively. In any case, I
don't think this will happen very soon. This is important to address
1.4, I think.

> 3.2 use sqlite3 for pkg_summary

I don't agree on this. pkg_summary as plain text is IMO far preferable,
because it is a better distribution format. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be
indexed as well, but the primary format should stay as plain text.

Joerg