Subject: Re: Another look at "supported" versus anything else
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2007 22:33:59
On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 08:29:07PM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> Regardless of what's done, it needs to be recognized that m68k and VAX
> systems (and probably a few others) will never be able to complete a bulk
> package build in three months without having older packages already done.
> So what do we do about this? Thoughts?

Well, let's assume that the VAX can be emulated with one percent of
native speed on a modern CPU. I need 4-5 days for a full bulk build
(incl. vmware overhead) on a dual Xeon. With a CS lab or so otherwise
idling around, this should be feasiable :-) If you move the actual
computation out with distcc, you gain quite a bit as well.

Joerg